Thursday, January 25, 2018

Inspire kindness and pay it forward

Kindness and generosity of relatives and friends. Inspire kindness and pay it forward.

Those are the reserves that get me by when faced with quasi crisis.
When I am faced with a critical task to do within a limited time, resources indeed show up to support my game plan to make me face today and tomorrow with optimism.

This has worked for me. And I intend to snowball this by extending kindness and generosity to others that I meet.

Originally written May 2013. Reposted Jan 2018


The universe has an abundance of situations for me to apply kindness and generosity.

When we brought Lolo to The Medical City to treat his traumatized knee cap at the Emergency Room Monday morning, we were followed by a group of young professionals still in their sleeping casual outfits entering hysterically.

They were in a panic bringing in a colleague from the Home Depot dorm who they thought was in a state of “bangungot,” or “sudden arrhythmic death syndrome.” He did not wake up on the usual waking hour. When a dorm mate saw him in his bed, he was in a convulsion. 

The trainees from IBM wasted no time in bringing him to TMC ER. There was a commotion at the ER from the group as the patient has no next of kin in the company. Crucial decisions had to be made. In his critical condition, they have to inform his next of kin who happened to be based in Sorsogon in Bicol. The doctor attending to the patient wanted to give an update only to the relative. This led further panic from the group numbering about 12.

One of the colleagues with a presence of mind was able to get a list of relatives from his address book. The person contacted gave a cell phone number of immediate relatives in Sorsogon with a Smart network prefix. Unfortunately, no one had an access to a Smart provider. As I was stationed beside them with Lolo, I asked the caller to dictate the phone number and punched it in my cellphone.

I gave my phone to the caller who handed it to the doctor inside the critical area. The next of kin was contacted with the competent doctor guiding the next of kin on the seriousness of situation.
After the conversation which took some time, the tension of the group eased a little bit. Soon after, he returned my phone. Without words coming out, I read in the formation of his lips two words. “Thank you.”

In hours, we were discharged from the ER. What happened to the young professional, I was no longer privy to but my hope was it was not traumatic for all.

I am appreciative of situations where I can be of help and service to others while I myself am facing a quasi-crisis situation. When I do an act of kindness and generosity to unknowns, I am assured that of an invisible shield protects me assuring me that everything will be alright.

No comments:

Post a Comment