Thursday, October 24, 2019

Ti Ayat Ti Maysa Nga Ubing

Ti ayat ti maysa nga ubing
Nasamsam-it ngem hasmin
kasla sabong nga apag-ukrad
iti bulan ti abril

Ti ayat ti maysa nga lakay
aglalo no agkabaw
napait, napait,
napait nga makasubkar

This Ilokano folksong resonated in my subconscious since childhood days. Repeatedly heard from the elders, in regional gatherings and on radio sang by the Mabuhay Singers, the melody and the lyrics stuck.

In Vigan this 4rth quarter 2019, I exerted effort to re-learn a language I did not learn to speak fluently and have not spoken in decades.

I wanted to converse in Ilokano to connect.
Directed to "manong, manang, ading," when asking for directions I ask "Ayan na ti  . . .?" When inquiring for a price, "Mano?" Greeting someone, I start with "Naimbag na aldaw." Checking on bus schedule, " Anya oras ti byahe ti Cubao?" Saying thanks, "Dios ti agngina."

The language is sacred to the Ilokanos. Speak their language and you can quickly engage with them. Speak with sincerity and it opens up the possibilities of their heritage.

When the Partas bus enroute to Manila reached Dau terminal, I was surprised to have quickly turned around, "Tya magkano ya pu?" The need to adapt.

No comments:

Post a Comment