Wednesday, August 07, 2013

Electrifying You Pay My Rent

You’ve got the looks, I’ve got the brains, let’s make lots of money”.  Never has this song become more relevant than now.  Thank you for reminding that this is still an option two decades after, Pet Shop Boys.  During our J. Walter Thompson and Ace Saatchi days, it was all fun, all work and never about money. Those were the days when "we were never boring" with the music of the PSB at the background.

The Electric Pet Shop Boys concert at the Araneta Coliseum was electrifying. Araneta was converted into a lights and sounds spectacle. Neil Tennant's distinct voice was given body with a superior audio system. It brought back memories of their Discography even if a handful was interpreted on their 1st visit to the Philippines.


But "it’s a sin, father forgive me" I cannot relate to the new electric techno pop songs. It validated that it takes some exposure for one to relate to new songs despite their catchy tunes and meaningful lyrics. Familiar songs particularly by the Pet Shop Boys have strong associations with events, persons or symbols in the past. New songs still need to intrude into your life, if ever you pay notice eventually given the clutter all around. Appreciation may come in due time.

To complete my experience  after the 1 ½ hour concert, I played their Discography Album from  West End, Love Comes Quickly, Opportunities, Suburbia, It's a Sin, What Have I Done to Deserve This, Rent, Always on My Mind, Heart, Domino Dancing, Left To My Own Devices, It's Alright, So Hard, Being Boring, Where the Streets Have No Name, Jealousy to Was It Worth It?

"Was it worth it?" certainly, after all the duo is an icon symbolizing English Electronic Pop having sold over 50 million records. Their music will "always be on my mind." And thanks for the upgrade, "what did I do to deserve this?"

No comments:

Post a Comment