Saturday, August 15, 2009

Coffee in Gen San

I went to a high end coffee shop in downtown Davao along Legaspi st. for coffee and breakfast. Outlet serves gourmet food, a wide variety of coffee variants typical of an international chain. Interior is modern and like other shops provides free wi-fi.
  • It opens at 7AM but unfortunately that Saturday, the staff forgot the key thus it started operations only past 9 AM.
  • When the counter was ready, I ordered from combo breakfast-coffee. Instead of a regular brewed, I asked if I can upgrade to a Coffee Latte. Bluntly I was told I will get my regular coffee plus the Latte at the posted price.
  • Breakfast offers a choice of rice or their specialty bread. As I was not asked to make a selection, I was automatically served rice although my preference was for bread. I did not appeal.

Three incidences where I felt I did not exercise my option as a customer. But it was a good value meal. Coffee was good, serving generous and the sausage tasty, price modest. Perhaps it was one of those odd days. I left the outlet accepting and satisfied despite the incidences.


In General Santos, I found a coffee shop along Pioneer st. considered along the same class as the Davao coffee shop. It had modern décor, with wi-fi facilities. Coffee offered a wide variant of variants including a specialty bean, "alamid."

The young barista patiently explained to me the various variances of their coffee shop including the story behind the processing of the coffee bean from the intestines of Philippine civet. I opted for a regular brew and paid P 60.0 for a tall order. After I paid, I was asked to sign in their guest book.



As I was about to exit at the door before closing time, the barista shouted from the counter, "Thank you Sir Chito for dropping by. Visit us again."


Businesses may offer competitive features and value pricing. But it is the one with a better service orientation that customers will naturally be drawn to and will keep coming back to over and over again.


Photo insert: Coffee shop at the extreme left

No comments:

Post a Comment